Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Summer Senses

I bet most people have some sort of sensory reaction to certain scents without even realising. Your sense of smell can evoke extremely powerful emotions mostly linked to memories. For instance the smell of freshly baked cookies or shortbread might remind you of visiting your Grandparents, or a waft of fresh flowers smells just like hugging your Mum. On a deeper level you might remember how a smell made you feel. You'll probably know exactly what I mean if you smelt the perfume you were wearing on your very first date, or the smell of candles being blown out at your younger birthday parties. Our whole lives are filled with sensory influences that completely overpower us at times. For me, smell is the strongest influence and can stun me into submission. I never realised until recently that the smell of smoke reminded me so much of my Grandma. My parents have smoked my whole life but after living away for nearly four years, walking into their house takes me right back to bounding in to my Grandma's house when I was just a bairn. My fiancé is transported back to the Hilton in Iceland whenever I wear my Jimmy Choo Flash perfume - we got engaged there so it's a very special memory.

With Summer as my topic I am going to go through a number of sensations that evoke that sunshiney feeling. 

First up is SMELL: 

I'm probably not the only one who finds coconut a major summer-evoking scent. It simply smells like holidays! I don't know if all Suncream was coconutty when I was little or what but it will always, always make me feel like I'm on holiday. 

Next up is garlic. Now this might seem strange to some people, but it doesn't matter how many times I smell it, cook with it or eat it, I am always transported back to the various streets of Europe where I spent my family holidays growing up. The smell of Italian food, Spanish Tapas or delicious curry wafting out onto the pavement is one of the simplest pleasures there is, and an ultimate summery feel good moment.

Last but most definitely not least is flowers! The smell of wild flowers and freshly cut grass just makes my day when I leave the house. Even if the sun isn't shining I can happily bask in my summery sense of happiness when surrounded by these delicious natural scents.

Now for TOUCH:

Think about that feeling you get in your skin when the sun is shining directly on you. Not burning, not tingling but a gentle warmth that spreads right through you, relaxing your muscles and your senses. THAT is summer in a moment.

Sheets. Crisp, white, cotton sheets. Soft and smooth against your skin. Cool yet comforting. Bliss.

Bare feet on warm ground or sand. It doesn't get more summery!

SIGHT:

Whilst pastels makes me think 'spring', brights just scream 'summer'. The gradual change from neutrals to pastels to brights in all the shop windows, marketing emails and supermarkets gently ease me into a laid-back summer feeling. 

Blue sky, fluffy clouds and sparkly waters of the river and the ocean where I live.

Sunkissed hair and skin.

TASTE:

Fruit, fruit fruit! Strawberries and cream during Wimbledon, juicy apricots and lots (and lots!) of wine.

French fries. Really salty and preferably served poolside in a basket.

Seafood. We adore seafood in our house, but perfectly cooked salmon fillets or calamari takes me back to summer in Italy in a second.

SOUND:

My fiancĂ© has a summer playlist on his iPod which is just perfect for cruising in the car with the sun streaming in. Santana is a particular summer favourite, and Lissie will always remind me of the Uruguayan wilderness. 


4 comments:

  1. Loved this! Totally relates to the thoughts that come into my mind when thinking about the different senses and summer. Coconut - definitely! Strawberries - eating some now.& isn't it so hard to describe the feeling of your skin when the suns shining on it?? aha well however it's described, I will definitely miss it come winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! Glad you took the time to read one of my more thought-evoking posts :) x

      Delete
  2. I love this!! Sheets definitely make me think of summer!! And Santana always reminds me of the high temperatures!! I'd be so grateful if you could check out my latest post and leave a comment if you enjoy it! http://zarakate.blogspot.ie/2014/07/shoe-wishlist.html ! Thanks so much

    Zara x
    zarakate.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I shall check it out :)

      Delete